Job loss insurance, also known as unemployment insurance, is a type of insurance that provides financial support to workers who lose their jobs involuntarily. Job loss insurance is mandatory for all private sector and federal government employees in the UAE, effective October 1, 2023.
Benefits of job loss insurance:
Job loss insurance provides a number of benefits to workers, including:
- Financial support to help cover basic expenses while looking for a new job
- Access to career counseling and job placement services
- Peace of mind knowing that you have a financial safety net in place
Eligibility for job loss insurance:
To be eligible for job loss insurance, you must:
- Be employed in the private sector or federal government in the UAE
- Have a valid Emirates ID
- Be paying the job loss insurance premium
How to apply for job loss insurance:
To apply for job loss insurance, you can register online through the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) website or through the MoHRE app. You can also register in person at any MoHRE branch.
How to claim job loss insurance:
To claim job loss insurance, you must:
- Have been involuntarily terminated from your job
- Have paid the job loss insurance premium for at least 12 consecutive months
- Be actively looking for a new job
To submit a claim, you can visit the MoHRE website or app, or call the MoHRE call center at 800 6090.
How much job loss insurance will you receive?
The amount of job loss insurance you will receive depends on your salary and the length of time you have been unemployed. You can receive up to 60% of your average basic salary for up to three months.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about job loss insurance in the UAE:
- You cannot claim job loss insurance if you are terminated for disciplinary reasons or if you resign from your job.
- You must start looking for a new job within 30 days of losing your job in order to be eligible for job loss insurance.
- You can only claim job loss insurance once every two years.
If you have any questions about job loss insurance, you can contact the MoHRE at 800 6090 or visit the MoHRE website.
Job loss insurance is an important social safety net for workers in the UAE. If you lose your job involuntarily, job loss insurance can provide you with financial support to help you cover your expenses while you look for a new job.